History of the Company

About our company

The ATEV Fehérjefeldolgozó Zrt. is the general legal successor of the state-owned Állatifehérje Takarmányokat Előállító Vállalat (ÁTEV) (= Enterprise for the production of animal-protein-based feedstuffs), established on July 1, 1949. This enterprise’ seat was registered at the address of the Sanitary Facilities of the Council of Budapest Municipality, a site on which animal waste processing was in progress since as long as 1903 and which then became known as the Veterinarians’ Sanitary Complex operating at the present site of our Company’s Budapest premises, was then entrusted with handling/enforcing canine control legislation matters, with collecting dead animals on Budapest’s territory and with collecting/receiving slaughterhouse waste, as well as with processing such material, including the production of soaps using the fats so obtained. The newly-established enterprise’ management was then entrusted by the Government’s Office for Supplies to the Public with organizing the buildings and production facilities to be found in the counties around the country into a network of animal material processing facilities. In 1950 a systematic facilities development process was started, based on the existing plants and sites of veterinary control activities, the poundmaster’s yards as well as the existing food production facilities.

Year of re-establishing the individual plants and of closing-down existing facilities, usually due to being obsolete:

Seat of the Enterprise:

Budapest, 1949; since 1971 (year in which processing activities ceased) operating as registered seat only


Plants, facilities kept in operation:

Debrecen, 1950; modernized by reconstruction in 1975

Hódmezővásárhely, 1951; modernized by reconstruction in 1982

Solt, 1963

Böhönye, 1998 (a collection and transloading site)

Mátyásdomb, 2003

Böny, 2006 (presently used only for collecting and transloading)


Plants, facilities closed down or sold:

Battonya, 1942 – 2000, modernized by reconstruction in 1952

Kecskemét, 1950 – 1952

Miskolc, 1950 – 1953

Nagykanizsa, 1950 – 1956

Nyíregyháza, 1950 – 1954

Pécs, 1950 – 1966

Székesfehérvár, 1950 – 1961

Szikszó, 1955, modernized by reconstruction in 1984. In 1994 this plant gets separated from our Company and was transformed into a new company named SZATEV Zrt.

Sárvár, 1957 – 2003, this was the first plant designed and built exclusively for processing animal by-products

Szolnok, 1961 – 1992, since 1996 used for fat meal production, site of central laboratory

Győr, 1967 – 2004

Tököl, 1971 – 2005


In 1957 ÁTEV’s statutory supervision had been transferred from the then Ministry of Food Supplies to the Ministry of Agriculture which gave impetus to developments within the Enterprise. As of 1970, intensive developments in processing technologies and construction/reconstruction projects received significant state donations. During the second half of the seventies major changes took place in the life of the Enterprise as the then Ministry of Agriculture and Food Supplies (MÉM) came to decide that animal waste shall be processed where it gets produced. From this time on ÁTEV had to learn also how to tackle problems of raw material scarcity. Between 1980 and 1984 the Enterprise’ operation was under the statutory supervision of Gabona Tröszt (= Cereals Trust).

As of 1984 in all production facilities of ÁTEV we had high-capacity and well-performing production equipment, satisfactory hygienic conditions, and provisions for protecting the environment; everything that was necessary to satisfy the needs of the staff and the expectations of the public in the neighborhood of our production sites.


As of September 30, 1993 the Enterprise was transformed into a public limited company, in which 100 % of the shares was held by the Hungarian State. The subscribed capital was 878 million HUF. Pursuant to changes in legislation, in 2006 the company assumed the status of “company limited by privately held shares”.


In accordance with the provisions of Act of Parliament No. V of 2013 (the Hungarian Civil Code) the plc’s official name at present: ATEV Fehérjefeldolgozó Zártkörűen Működő Részvénytársaság (ATEV Zrt).

Shareholders of the Company are:

Nemzeti Vagyongazdálkodási Tanács:

Magyar Nemzeti Vagyonkezelő Zrt.

Nemzeti Eszközgazdálkodási Zrt.


(= National Assets Management Council:

Hungarian National Trust plc.

National Assets Management plc.)


ÁTEV and its legal successor, the ATEV Zrt. unceasingly kept pace with requirements related to the protection of the environment. In its development plans the Company dominantly promoted the matters of sewage treatment, reduction of air pollution, and soil protection.

As the impact of legislation concerning epidemics and public health steadily grew, we also increased our engagement in finding ways for a professionally sound and safe disposal of animal waste. After Hungary joined the EU, the applicable EU regulations prohibited the burying of animal waste and carcasses or their dumping into sanitary pits of communes. Thus, the ATEV Zrt.’s role significantly came to the fore, as the organization capable of collecting, of disposing of, of processing or utilizing the different categories (Cat. 1, 2 or 3) of animal by-products in accordance with EU or domestic legal regulations, paying due attention to risks involved, to appropriate methods of handling and treatment, and to ways and means of utilization of products obtained by processing animal by-products.


Hungary’s system of state subventions contributed significantly to the successful elimination of risks that burdened the public and veterinary health authorities. On the basis of Ordinance No. 56/2008. (IV.25.) FVM concerning Donations to the Removal and Disposal of Animal Carcasses livestock businesses received state monetary contributions for a controlled, safe removal and disposal of Category 1 and 2 carcasses of certain species found in their livestock facilities, in order to improve animal health conditions and safety in this sector.

Livestock operators may use these non-returnable state contributions by employing a service provider engaged in carcass removal and disposal. The ATEV Zrt. as such service provider shall issue an invoice to the state contribution’s beneficiary covering the services rendered¸ such invoice itemizing the service types rendered, stating the denominations, the value of services, showing the contribution’s ratio within the value figures. The beneficiary shall pay to the service provider only the difference between the gross invoice amount and the contribution amount involved. The amount granted as state donation to the livestock operator shall be received 2 or 3 months later by the service provider from the Agricultural and Rural Development Authority, as a single accumulated amount.


ATEV Zrt. performs disposal of Cat. 1 animal by-products in its Solt factory. Category 2 animal by-products are handled by the Solt and Debrecen plants. Cat. 3 slaughterhouse by-products that may be used for feeding purposes are processed in the Hódmezővásárhely and Mátyásdomb factories of ATEV Zrt.. In Bőny and Böhönye, and also as parts of the Debrecen and Hódmezővásárhely plants, the Company operates collection and transloading facilities.



Elektronikus Értékesítési Rendszer